Gobble, Gobble, Part Two

Wild turkey in the cul-de-sac.
When I was working on the calendar project, I went to a farm in rural Georgia to photograph turkeys. Who knew that I could have photographed them outside my house. I live in a typical suburb where there really should only be domestic animals—and on leashes. But lately, it seems that every time I turn around, I see some type of new wildlife. Wild turkeys, however, were very unexpected.

I was looking out my window on one end of my house and saw two really large birds across the street. They were a bit far away, so I wasn't sure what they were at first, but I knew they weren't the normal neighborhood-type birds. So I ran as fast as I could to the other end of the house and grabbed my camera. As I ran back as fast as possible, I was fully prepared to slide all the way down the hallway in my socks on the hardwood floor to get the shot.

Yum, this cul-de-sac is tasty!

It was a chilly morning with temps in the 30s. I was still in my jammies, but I was so excited, I almost ran outside to photograph them. Thank goodness I have no screens on my windows. I pushed the blinds out of my way and started shooting. Let me rephrase that, I started taking photographs.

Wait, should we walk up this driveway?
They were moving quickly and they were a little far away at first, but as luck would have it, they started walking my direction. They mostly had their heads down pecking at the ground. Not sure at what, it's not like we have grain or anything tasty sprinkled in the street. And I'm not really sure what caught their attention, but all of a sudden they stood a bit taller. Wonder if they spotted me.

What's the most unusual animal you've seen in your neighborhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment