We Salute You: Part 2

Flags at Marietta National Cemetery
Marietta National Cemetery with Flags Flying
In December, I wrote about my visit to Marietta National Cemetery and the beautiful wreaths that were placed in front of almost a third of the stones. It was a beautiful sight to see. I had also told you a little about the history of the cemetery.

Flags at Marietta National Cemetery
I love the different shapes the rows of stones form.
My favorite part of what I had learned from the National Cemetery Administration was about Henry Cole—the local merchant who had offered land for a burial ground for both Union and Confederate dead. "His hope was that by honoring those who had fallen together, others might learn to live in peace." I love that!

Flags at Marietta National Cemetery
The sun shining through the flags was really pretty.
For Memorial Day, the Boy Scouts of America, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts of America and Brownies placed little flags at every stone in the cemetery. Yes, every stone—that's almost 18,000!

Flags at Marietta National Cemetery
Sun flare and interesting shadows.

I have wanted to see this for several years, and I think I went one year a couple of weeks after Memorial Day and only a couple of flags were left. I'm not exactly sure what happens to them.

Flags at Marietta National Cemetery
Another sun flare with the flags lit from behind.
So I went this evening even though I was exhausted from all of my extensive long-weekend projects I had worked on. I'm so glad I did. It's really quite a sight to see so many flags. And as much as I enjoyed how the cemetery looked in December, it's amazing how different it looks now with the trees all filled out. And the light was especially nice this evening.

Flags at Marietta National Cemetery
The sun is lighting the inside of the rostrum.
I highly recommend that you see these flags in person for yourself. And if you can get there this week, I feel fairly certain that the flags will still be there. After that, well, I'm just not sure.

Have you seen the flags? Do you know how long they remain?

No comments:

Post a Comment